Reade Township was originally part of White Township and was separated on September 1, 1879. It is a part of Cambria County. It was named for George M. Reade, an Ebensburg, PA, attorney who handled the legal details of Reade’s incorporation as a township.
Within the township are the villages of Blandburg, Glasgow, Mountaindale, Llyodsville, Hollentown, Flinton, Van Ormer, Frugality and Fallentimber. Located in the northeastern section of Glendale Valley, it is bordered by Clearfield Creek. There was a small population for most of the 19th century, but felt a strong increase from 1880 to 1890. During this time, coke ovens in Glasgow and a brick plant in Blandburg was started.
The construction of the CCC and NYSRR railroads, along with the aforementioned brickyards and coke-making remained the major industries of the township. Lumbering and mining were also present along with several small industries. Reade Township remains a haven for hunters and fishermen who trek to this area during the seasons. In 1950, the township had a population of 2,400 people, but this dropped to 1980 total in 198