Beccaria Township surrounds the boroughs of Coalport, Glen Hope, and Irvona. One of the first two townships carved originally from Clearfield County back in 1807, Beccaria was named for the Marques of Beccaria of Italy–a noted philosopher.
In the latter part of 1798, an old Revolutionary War soldier named Capt. Edwards Ricketts settled in an area known as Keagy’s Dead Water with a group of Indians. This soon evolved into a settlement known as Mount Pleasant–later to be called Utahville. Later settlers followed and in 1913 there were a total of 75 residents. In 1813, a man known as Dr. Keagy founded the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church and later built a schoolhouse. In 1819, John Gill made the first bituminous mine opening and used the coal for blacksmithing purposes. The township was famous for its lumbering and coal mining and in 1925 had a population of 4,000 people and 1,000 students in its school system. Beccaria Township still has various surface coal mines operating in its area. The township currently encloses the surrounding villages of Blain City, Rosebud, Lyleville, Beccaria, and Utahville.